Every two years, Central 1 People Solutions surveys Canadian credit unions about their board governance and directors’ remuneration practices. The survey gathers data and insights that you can use for board-related decisions in your credit union.
For 2019, the survey will run May 13-31.
If you don’t find the information you’re looking for in these links, you can contact us at:
2019: Easier, faster and more useful
The 2019 survey is easier, faster and more useful than ever before. It’s been completely redesigned, based on feedback from our participants; we’ve focused the questions to keep the critical information you count on in the report, and capture more qualitative information about your board practices. The result will be a final report full of usable information, best practices and the latest trends.
New for 2019:
- Fewer questions. You’ll be asked only about half the number of questions in this year’s survey.
- More qualitative focus. By re-orienting the questions toward more qualitative information, the results will be more useful to you: information on trends, best practices and how you can best use the data.
- More sophisticated survey platform for enhanced survey experience. The new tool allows you to leave the survey at any time and return to it using the link provided in your invitation email. Every time you click “Next” your answers will be saved. You will also have the ability to download a copy of your responses when you submit.
- Value-add experience. Each participating credit union will receive the executive summary document as a thank you, and an invitation to attend a trends webinar hosted by Central 1 People Solutions after the final report is complete. As always, you have the option to purchase the full report.
What’s in it for you?
As a Canadian credit union, participating in the Canadian Credit Union Board Governance & Directors’ Remuneration Survey is valuable to you:
- You’ll get a powerful tool to guide your decisions, and you can benchmark your practices against the Canadian credit union industry.
- You’ll receive a complimentary executive summary, and the option to purchase the full report.
- You’ll be invited to an exclusive ‘trends’ webinar, where Central 1 experts will dive into the data and help you understand what it means to you.
Participation also helps your credit union partners, and it’s valuable to the sector as a whole. Be part of creating an authoritative, single source of information on the national credit union sector. Widespread participation yields better data and better results, which means we can offer you information on best practices that are truly Canada-wide.
The Ask: the ‘who’s, the ‘how long’s and the ‘what-info-you-need’s
The survey will take approximately 1 – 2 hours to complete. You can reduce completion time by being prepared:
- Find the right person. Since we’re looking for more qualitative information this year, the person completing the survey should have access to your governance policies and compensation information, and also be in a position to provide insight into your credit union’s practices and how effective they are.
- Set aside time. We expect the survey will take 1 – 2 hours to complete. The new tool will allow you to complete in multiple settings – you may leave the survey at any time and return to it using the link provided in your invitation email. Every time you click “Next” your answers will be saved. You will also have the ability to complete the sections in the order of your preference
- Prepare ahead and gather your materials. A copy of the survey questions for you to read ahead, as well as a preparation checklist for the supporting documents and information you will need to reference while completing the survey are available here
- Make sure you get the link. The survey invitation email will come from email@example.com– please ensure this address is ‘white listed’ so it doesn’t get caught in any of your spam/junk email filters
What to expect when: the survey participation key dates
|April 17||Registration opens|
|May 6||Registration closes|
|May 6 – 13||Registrants receive a checklist of required information|
|May 13||Participants receive the survey link|
|May 13 – 31||Survey period|
|End of October||Report distribution – complimentary executive summaries and purchased full reports|
|Date to be confirmed||Trends webinar for all survey participants|
Who can participate in the survey?
We welcome and encourage participation from credit unions across the country. Our goal is to have as wide a participant pool as possible, so that our results are as useful as possible to you.
What’s the benefit to my credit union?
By adding your voice to the rest of the Canadian credit union sector, you’ll be helping to build a truly nation-wide picture of best practices. The result will be a powerful tool to help guide your decisions, and you can benchmark your practices against the best in the Canadian credit union industry.
Who in my organization should do the survey?
Since each Canadian credit union has a slightly different organizational structure, the ‘right’ person will vary from organization to organization. The person you choose to complete the survey should be in a position to provide insight into your credit union’s practices, and how effective they are. (Remember, we are focusing more strongly on qualitative information). This may be your CEO or GM, Board Chair, head of Governance, Corporate Secretary, or whoever most closely supports the board.
What information do I have to provide?
In addition to the insight on your organization’s governance and board practices, you will want to have access to information such as budget information and board compensation.
A copy of the survey questions and a preparation checklist are available here to ensure you have everything you will need to make the survey completion as easy as possible.
Is there a cost to participate in the survey?
There is no cost to participate, and all participants will receive a complimentary copy of the executive summary of the report as a thank you. When you participate you will have the option to purchase the full report.
Who can I contact if I have questions?
If you have any questions, or run into any snags while completing the survey, please contact Central 1’s People Solutions team: